Monday, March 31, 2008

Some disreputable contractors

I hate to admit it because this is my trade but I would not be honest if I did not tell you this is happening, the good news is I can help you fight it.

Trio busted in Bay area air conditioning repair scheme


PASCO COUNTY -- Armed with warrants, police descended on the New Port Richey office of U. S. Air Friday.

AThe raid followed a six month investigation that culminated in the felony arrests of 3 U.S. technicians.

Detectives say Dannis Garlock, Stan Lachowicz and Steven Buhler each tampered with or vandalized an air conditioning unit in an attempt to gouge a total of 3 elderly customers out of thousands of dollars.

“I said what have you gotta do? He said probably have to replace it,” said Virginia Humphries, who told us that U.S. Air sent Garlock to her home for a routine inspection. “I was hurt. I was mad,” she said.

A second technician from another company found the problem. a knife wound in Virginia's coil. Detectives say Garlock confessed to stabbing the unit with this knife.

“He shows up at 4 o’clock willing to do a repair for 4,000 to the damage he had done I confront him and he confesses to doing it,” said Detective Jeff Kraft.

Lachowicz and Buhler are charged with exploitation of the elderly and attempted grand theft in connection with another case in which investigators say they disabled the unit of a 67 year old woman in order to get her to pay for a $3000 repair.

"They had shut off her unit and left the fan going. In essence, it was blowing whatever air was in the attic thru her house," said Detective Kraft.

The owner of us air would not come out of his office to answer any of our questions, but detectives believe pressure to sell expensive repairs contributed to the crimes.

No comments: