Friday, June 27, 2008

How much does capacitor cost?


Our townhome a/c unit was not working, so I put in a service call. This morning, the tech came and replaced the capacitor in 15 minutes and he's done. The service call is $65 but he charged for me $150 for the capacitor. I just looked up the capacitor online, I'm not at home right now, it seems to me that the capacitor costs around $20-$40 range. If they charge double, I'm ok with it but charging triple or quadruple the price, this is just crazy. Just curious is it just me or they overcharged me for the capacitor?


RE: How much does capacitor cost?

Posted by mr.havac (My Page) on Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 22:18


Sorry, you got screwed bigtime!

RE: How much does capacitor cost?
Posted by zl700 (My Page) on Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 22:55

You didnt mention where you live.
NYC or LA and it in line

MN, OH, PA, ..... and it shouldn't be over $150 total service call

($65.00 trip, service and diagnostic charge, $18 cap x 500%)



RE: How much does capacitor cost?
Posted by zl700 (My Page) on Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 23:23

Inside Chicago is expensive too!
Won't hurt to call and give them a chance to adjust though!

If they made you aware of their service call charge and later the repair charge for which you agreed, it will be tough.

If they fixed and then presented the bill, you have a leg to stand on.

Flat Rate pricing was developed in Chicago. While making lots of money, or fair money for some contractors, it gave the option to fix or not fix to the consumer after agreeing to pay the service and diagnostic fee.

To the PHVACR contractors, not to start a fight, no doubt there are +’s & -‘s to flat rate pricing.

No comments: