Saturday, November 8, 2008

Heating or Air Conditioning the world starts staying inside

I of course am in the air conditioning business we work on furnaces and refrigeration equipment also, but I must be honest and tell you I feel that indoor comfort control while a nice luxury has drastically changed society, and not for the better.
I just read an Australian report since 1994 residential air conditioning has increased from 15 to 58% this mirrors what happened in the U.S. in the 80's. I witnessed this and like everything else we do you never know what the impact will be until you are in it.
I remember people who grew up in major metropolitan areas in the 50's and 60's and they would tell stories of the summers when they could walk down the sidewalk during any summer day and never miss pitch of there favorite teams ballgame that day because everyone had the game on the radio and of course their windows were open. All the kids were on the street and all the mothers were in the yard.
I myself grew up in a small town we never had air conditioning until I was 14 years old all the families were in their yards or on the porches until late evening and our relatives in the country the same way every house you drove by you knew who lived there because they were all on the porch and waved at you when you went by.
Yes I know things change and I am tilting at windmills but this is just an observation from someone who sees our kids living completely different lives than we did and neighborhoods with little or no connection except for the water, sewer and electrical.
I'm just sayin.

No comments: