Friday, May 9, 2008

My outdoor fan is not running

Q. My Air conditioner was working fine last year and I turned it on this year and nothing. I checked the breakers I went outside and found the unit making noise but the outside fan was not running, what do I do.

A. If your outdoor or Pckage unit is making noise then that means it probably has adequate power and the compressor is at least trying to run. Shut off the power and allow the unit to cool down for 1 hour. Restart the power with the thermostat calling for cooling and you standing by the outdoor fan if it tries to start or not use a long thin screwdriver to spin the fan in the direction of rotation and if the fan starts running then you may be able to replace the capacitor and it will be OK if it does not run you need to make sure that you have line voltage going to the fan if so the fan motor will need to be replaced

No comments: