Wednesday, May 28, 2008

To R22 or not to R22 that is the question

AC Refrigerant?

Posted by fedude (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 8:57

Building a new house (1800sqft ranch) in upstate NY. My builder has suggested a "Rheem or equal 13 sheer 3 ton R22 Freeon". Not sure specifically what model this is but I have two questions?

1) Is the R22 Freeon OK, or should I request the R-410a refrigerant? Does refrigerant ever need to be replaced?

2) I can upgrade to a 16 sheer 3-ton for $912. Would it be worth it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC Refrigerant?


* Posted by tigerdunes (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 9:16

fedude

R-410a refrigerant with 14-15 SEER and a var speed blower on furnace...

what furnace are you looking at-the Rheem Mod?

the refrigerant used on an AC or HP condenser/evap coil is a closed system and never needs to be replaced unless there is a leak or possibly a contamination issue.

IMO

o
RE: AC Refrigerant?


* Posted by funnycide (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 16:40

don't worry about refrigerant. R-22 is fine
will this be a heat pump or furnace (nat gas or propane)?

o
RE: AC Refrigerant?


* Posted by fedude (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 22:19

Furnace with natural gas. No heat pump.

I'm going to try to get a variable speed blower.

Anything else I should look for? I don't know what model. I'll find out in the next week or so. Are there any I should ask for (or ones to avoid?)

o
RE: AC Refrigerant?


* Posted by miken_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 7:39

R22 is fine now but the price has increased four fold in the last two years and this system will leak probably after five years then what will the cost of R22 be the supply will be so greatly reduced that it will probably be somewhere around $700 for a 30# drum better to make the right decision now prices for 410a and 134a are going down while R22 goes up and for those of us who were around for the R12 phase out we know how that will play out people who make the wrong decisions in the transition pay a high price later

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditioning Repair made Easy

No comments: